October 11, 2010

Software skills and Interviews carried out at D-Schools

Lets ask a basic question here, why do these D-schools put the students through interviews and DAT, is CEED not itself painful enough? Maybe there are certain things that are not tested in CEED. Like, how passionate you are about design or do you have skill set for a specific course. Say, you are applying for Product Design at NID, one skill set might be rendering different solutions to same problem. The interviews are conducted for several such reasons.

    Many candidates ask about beautiful software renderings and other skills. Are these really relevant in the interviews?. After all these skills do reflect your creativity and visualization capacity, but still in interview you should be able to defend the originality of the concepts and the solution that you have rendered in the software. The same solution may be presented in form of a collection of sketches indicating the development of the concept. So in short, the concept will have more weightage than implementation. Therefore the medium or the software used for rendering will only carry a fractional value.

10 comments:

Arya said...

I think I got my answer.

Thanks again..

Radhika said...

Hi prasanna, first of all congratulations on your blog, this is a wonderful resource for aspirants, especially since design is still a relatively unexplored choice of masters in india.
I actually wanted to ask you to suggest some common softwares and tools industrial and product designers use to convey ideas. Am good at sketching on paper but a digital option is sometimes necessary. I could not find a previous related post but if it exists then please give a link :)
Thank you!

saurabh said...

Hello Prasanna. This is saurabh . Doing my B.tech degree(In civil engineering) from NIT agartala & as usual like the other visitors of this site ; yeah!! m also a freaking design passionate(Physical computing & interaction design). Have been following your blog past seven days & it's amazing believe me . The journey itself is an experience in itself. So fingers crossed for CEED . Wish me luck ..

Prasanna Gadkari (M.Des in Product Design from I.I.Sc. ) said...

Hello Saurabh
Nice to know about u
Best of luck for CEED and beyond that too :)

adi said...

There are very few resources out there to get information regarding designing in India.

Thank You for clearing almost every query of most of the people related and your blog is really awesome.

I have a few questions:

- I have cleared ceed and have been filtered at IIT IDC. I have already applied to IISC CPDM. I would like you to rate the following colleges in terms of reputation, job aspect
in the field of general and automobile designing - IIT Delhi, IIT Kanpur, IIT Guwahati, IISC CPDM, IIITDM Jabalpur. And also do people who persue M.Des. in these college end with with a decent package in a good and reputed company? Any idea about the average packages and placement ratio?

- I have cleared the first round of NID (PG Transportation and automobile designing). How should I prepare for the studio test and interview? What is generally asked?

Prasanna Gadkari (M.Des in Product Design from I.I.Sc. ) said...

Hello Adi,
All the IITs and IISc are the best in the country and among themselves cannot be compared. I feel, only the course contents vary, but they will offer you best jobs in India, no matter what courses you choose :)

The salary figures vary a lot! I recommend you not to keep this as a big factor while choosing the job. You might land up in high paying but unsatisfactory job.

There is a blog on transportation design portfolio tips somewhere on this blog. You can refer to "CEED Help" section. These tips are applicable for NID (PG Transportation and automobile designing).

Hope you get through. You can send across your portfolio to me, if you want to have my opinion about it.

Best of luck.

JackOAllTrades said...

your blog is a great source of information and really commendable the way you have replied to every query on your blog. Keep it up

Unknown said...

Hiee Prasaana..amazing tips and help..even i am amongst the designer aspirants..to merge art and technology....frustrated by IT JOB..want to plunge into the world of colors and art

Prasanna Gadkari (M.Des in Product Design from I.I.Sc. ) said...

Hello Priya,
Let me know if you need any help :)
All the best!

Unknown said...

All my works are hand rendered. So will that be a problem when i do my portfolio?....

Post a Comment

Discussion