June 09, 2019

Sarwin Kumar (IIIT Jabalpur)

I did my B.E Aeronautical in Chennai (2014-2018). Once the college got over I took myself a year break to find the right path for my future and didn't accept my job offer.
I was introduced to Design by a friend of mine (grateful for that), then I attended a design connect event which happened near my area and learnt about M.Des and CEED exam.
I'm a person who loves art and design a lot from a very young age and I realized M.Des could be the correct path for my future and career.

CEED 2019
It was my first attempt, the exam was on 19th January. I was really calm about the exam before night and even the min before the exam.
In Part A, I wasted quite an amount of time in NAT, but I did well in MSQ and MCQ. My approach towards Part A was not to waste time if I can't solve it under a minute and get back to it later, which worked well for me for the MCQ and MSQ.
In Part B, I first read all the questions so that my subconscious mind could find more solutions/ideas for it. I answered the Mobility and Vehicle design question in the discipline-specific question.
Results were out on 4th March, I got 45.2 in Part A and 36.66 in Part B. My CEED score is 38.79

IIT Bombay
IDC has a whole different selection method. We have to submit the application form along with the given tasks in the online portal. On April 5th, results of shortlisted candidates were announced and I got shortlisted for studio test and interview.
Studio test: 13th April
The studio test had 2 questions. Q1 Draw a  side view sketch of Royal Enfield and render it to show different materials. Q2 Make a model of a pyramid with the dimensions given. 90 min was the time period and materials were given for making the model.
Interview: 14th April
My interview was in the afternoon, there were 3-panel members in the room. Of the three panellists, one was looking my portfolio and asked questions from it, another was observing me the entire time and never asked me a single question, another panellist was conversing with me the entire 20 mins and questioned me about transportation design. Questions were mostly related to the Indian transportation and design. I was happy with how I did my interview and was hoping for good results.
But I didn't get through the interview and studio test.

IIIT Jabalpur
The online application process was simple and no tasks were given in that. I got through the selection process and was shortlisted for studio test and interview.
Studio test: 13th May
The time period was 90 mins and questions were mostly similar to the CEED question. Part B questions were storyboard sketching, observe the given image and critique about it and finally, we were asked to write about the advantages of visual media.
Interview: 14th May
The time duration of my interview was 15 mins and not a single question was asked about my portfolio. Panel members questioned everyone in a similar manner. Questions were Why design? Why M.des not M.E? what makes you a designer? I answered all the questions truthfully and I didn't say any scripted answers.
Since my portfolio sketches and designs were mostly related to transportation and IIIT J didn't have staffs for that, I was asked are you okay with Industrial design if selected for M.Des and I replied them saying Yes, I'm aware of the curriculum, staffs and the electives and I'm happy with it.
The results were announced on May 30 and I got selected for the Masters in Design in IIIT Jabalpur.

My method of preparation for CEED
I joined a class for CEED because I was completely unaware of CEED and how to approach it. But one doesn't need to join classes and can clear CEED just by proper preparation and guide alone. I spent an hour a day for 3 months solving old CEED question papers and different DAT exams. I wish I found teacup blog before my CEED exams, it really helped me with my approach for the portfolio.
My portfolio complies of everything I love and desired for. I wanted my portfolio to show my field of interest and my love for art and design. I sketched everything in A4 and artboard and later scanned and printed them in texture board and wiro bound it.
I would recommend CEED preparing students to play 3D puzzles, read design magazines/blogs, sketch a day, explore different medium and aim for CEED score above 45 min. Clearing CEED alone won't help you get an interview, higher scores are necessary and it helps in the shortlisting too.
I applied for IIT G and IIT D dint get shortlisted for interview.

Thanks to everyone who supported me the way along.
Special thanks to Dhanasekaran Sir (M.Des IITD) and Raghul Sridhar (B.Des)





11 comments:

Unknown said...

Mass da! Good read...!

Unknown said...

(MENTION THAT YOU ARE UNDER THE RESERVED CATEGORY)
If you would have been in open category, no one would have even cared to call you for the interview. Getting selected is a whole different thing!

All that you have achieved is just because of the SHITTY RESERVATION SYSTEM!

Sarwin Kumar said...

I don't understand why you're so offended and frustrated about yourself, maybe because of your failed attempts I guess. I got selected for IIIT jabalpur in open category only. Do refer their official result announcement if your have any further doubt. Godspeed ⚡

Unknown said...

Firstly congrats 💕
Secondly I would like to know did you get a call from IIT Bombay in general category? Actually my ceed 2020 score is 33.5 and I'm general ews ... Will I get a call ?

Unknown said...

What was your CEED rank ?
Please tell

Unknown said...

My rank is 438 open. Can I get selected at IDC IIT B with this rank?

Unknown said...

My general rank is 988 and ews rank is 15

Aditya Kumar said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aditya Kumar said...

Glad to hear your story. May I know your rank?

Sarwin Kumar said...

To all who asked about IIT Bombay.
They don't care for your ranks, the procedure is, do the task and submit them before the deadline given by IDC. You submit them as part of your application process to get a call for round 1 and round 2 test. Based on quality of your submission, you get the call letter. I hope it helps. If you got what it takes, you'll make it through :) Goodluck

Transfrom said...

Is there a task to complete at time of filling the application form in order to get a call letter?

Post a Comment

Discussion